Mijn kijk op de wereld, en een kijkje in de mijne...

zaterdag 20 april 2013

Travel journal: Nicaragua day 1


Travel journal: Friday - day 1 of the Bethel Missiontrip to Nicaragua 

I lay my hands on the school seats and pray that there will come world changers, revivalist and leaders of this nation out of these chairs. Positive statements in Spanish, drawings and learning tools are displayed on the colorful walls of the classroom. The bright colors of the paint reflect the hope this ‘lighthouse’ brings. Miriam, wife of pastor Ramon, just showed us around in the school, daycare and church. Normally, these rooms are filled with many children from the neighborhood and the trash dumps, who enjoy the care, education and protection of the ministry. But now it’s Spring break, so the rooms are only filled with 14 Bethel-students who are walking around and releasing blessing. The power of intercession is bigger than we can ever imagination, so it feels like a huge privilege to be able to pray for this place. I walk around the rooms as I pray and observe. Stocks of colorful, little chairs remind me that we were just told that in a room, that’s smaller than my bedroom, they take care of 31 toddlers. We can only imagine what that must look like after the weekend, when school starts again.

The sun shines bright in my eyes and the wind takes my hair when I step outside. I look up to the sky and declare that the glory of God will shine on this place as the sun is beaming down on it, and the Holy Spirit will  move as the wind blows through the palm trees. As I walk by the kitchen and pray for more than enough food for all the kids, the words of Miriam resound through my memory. “God provide for my heroes”. She told us about her teachers, who are her heroes. They can’t pay them  as much as they would want to pay them, because the kids go to school and daycare for free. It’s inspiring to hear how the pastor’s couple are living in trust and dependency of the donations of Gods people for Gods people. I pray for provision for her heroes, the teachers, and I pray for provision for my new heroes: the pastor and his wife. 

--

We’re taking a tour through Managua in the van. Through the car windows we see the environment change and become poorer and poorer, until we arrive at the dumps. Charity is surprised when she sees the streets full of colorful houses. “Wow, these weren’t here a couple of years ago!” Mario, our guide and translator, explains that Spain has supported the build of many houses for the people who lived in the dumps for more than 5 years. Where there once was nothing but dirt, dust and trash, are now cleaned out streets with small, cement houses in the colors of the rainbow. Of course everybody is excited to hear about the improvement of the living conditions of the people. But Mario also points out that these people are still in need, especially spiritually. “You can get the people out of the dumps, but you can’t get the dumps out of the people. They need a change in the way they think and therefor they need God in their lives.” We all agree, that’s the reason why we want to serve the pastor’s ministry in the trash dump  these weeks. Even though we’re driving through some extreme poverty, we are all convinced of the hope that there’s available for the country. “I love my country, I want to serve my people. My favorite part of Nicaragua is their hospitality and their social attitude,” tells Mario while we are driving past many colorful houses where families are sitting on their porch. Kids play in plastic pools to escape the tropical heat and older people are talking to neighbors. “I grew up and was raised in Managua. My favorite part is that everybody always meets outside. I would meet my friends on the corner. God has placed me here for a purpose.” The love for his nation and passion for his people is contagious. Yes, Nicaragua is a beautiful country full of potential.

©ElineMillenaar

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten